Monday, July 27, 2009

I made a list in 9th grade of everything I wanted to do with my life. I review it every now and then, add things to it and strike through things I have done. The travel section alone is about 3 pages. Here is an excerpt from my lifetime goals and dreams.

Places outside the U.S. that I would like to travel:

South America:

Brazil- Amazon River, the real Carnival

Costa Rica

Guatemala- Tikal (Mayan ruins)

Peru- Inca city of Manchu Picchu

 Chile- Moai Statues in Rapa Nui (Easter Island)

Time to do some updating of the list and plan my next trip. I went to southeast Asia last summer and hit some places that allowed me to cross them off:

Asia:

Cambodia- Angkor* (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon, Terrace of the Elephants), Phnom Pen (killing fields, Choeung Ek)

China- Shanghai, Hong Kong, The Great Wall*, Tibet (Mt. Everest (base camp climb, Potala Palace in Lhasa), Sacred Mountains of China (Mount Tai*), Beijing the ‘Forbidden City’*, Mukden Palace*, Terracotta Army*, Mountain Resort*, Ancient city of Png Yao*, The Summer Palace*, The Temple of Heaven*,  so many places listed at

India- Taj Mahal and Agra Fort in Agra*, Mohenjo-daro in Sindhi, Sanchi* (Buddhist monuments), Ellora*, Fatehpur Sikri*, Konark (Sun Temple/ Black Pagoda*), Brihadisvara Temple, Monuments at Vijayanagara*, Monuments at Pattadakal*, Mahabodi Temple*

Indonesia- Borobudur Temple*, Prambanan temple*, rainforest in Sumatra

Japan- Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, Todai-ji (Eastern Great Temple in Nara) and Toshodai-ji (Buddhist temple)*, Ryoan-ji*, Itsukushima Shrine (the torri- in the water)*, many monuments in Kyoto, shrines and temples of Nikko*

Malaysia- Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Twin Towers), Penang (piercing festival)

Nepal- Mt. Everest, Patan (Hindu Temples, 1 of 3 medieval kingdoms), Kathmandu Valley*

           Philippines- Banaue Rice Terraces*, (do not go to Mindenau)

Singapore

Sri Lanka- Golden Temple of Dambulla*, Kandy* "Esala Maha Perahera" festival in July

Thailand- Bangkok (Grand Palace), Golden Triangle, Elephant Sanctuary

Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment